1. Place the modem in a central spot
Your modem should be placed without obstruction and at waist height and the front should always face the room. As a reference, you should always have visual contact with the modem.
The shorter the distance between the modem and the devices, the better the Wi-Fi connection. Place the modem close to the TV or close to your office desk.
Connection problems can occur when objects get in the way of a good Wi-Fi signal. Do not place your modem:
- Behind the sofa
- Behind the door
- Walls, pillars and plants also block the signal
2. Avoid interferences
Interferences can also be caused by electronic devices, even if they are not connected to the Wi-Fi.
For example: Bluetooth devices, microwaves, gaming consoles, baby monitors, surveillance cameras.
- Switch off these devices when you don’t need them.
- Do not place the Modem directly next to these devices.
3. Use a Wi-Fi Extender
The further you move away from the modem, the weaker your Internet signal will be: speed can decrease and connectivity problems can occur.
To improve the signal’s range, you can use Wi-Fi Extenders.
- For small apartments (up to 70 m²): just the modem should be enough.
- For medium-sized apartments (up to 120 m²): you’ll need one set of Extenders.
- For large apartments (higher than 120 m²): You’ll need an additional Extender.
- For a house: You’ll need one Extender per floor.
More information about the Wi-Fi Extender you find here.
4. Select the Right Frequency Band
A frequency band refers to a specific range on which signals can be transmitted. Your modem can transmit in two bands: 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz.
- 2.4 GHz: reaches further from the modem, but it offers relatively slower connection as is more crowded.
- 5 GHz: the devices need to be closer to the Modem but is less busy and therefore offers a better connection.
Both are activated at the same time with the same Wi-Fi name and the modem automatically chooses the better frequency to transmit. In order to keep connected always to the same frequency band, you can personalize your modem in the admin area:
- Can "deactivate" any of the bands.
- Can choose different Wi-Fi names to distinguish 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency band.