What does 5G stand for?
5G stands for "fifth generation“, which is the latest generation of mobile network technology. It succeeds the 4G standard and brings several benefits to users.
What are the benefits of 5G?
Benefits may include:
- Higher Data Speeds: 5G networks can offer data speeds multiple times faster than 4G, enabling quicker downloads and uploads, and more efficient internet usage.
- Lower Latency: Reduced latency results in quicker response times, which is critical for applications requiring real-time feedback, such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and gaming.
- Greater Connectivity: 5G is designed to support a larger number of devices simultaneously, which is vital in an increasingly connected world of smartphones, wearables, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- Improved Capacity: Networks will be able to handle more data, allowing for better service in crowded areas like sports stadiums or city centers, where many people use their phones simultaneously.
- Enhanced Reliability: 5G aims to provide more stable and reliable communications, with fewer dropped connections and interruptions.
- Network Efficiency: 5G networks are designed to be more efficient, leading to better performance and less energy consumption, both for devices and network equipment.
These benefits may vary depending on location.
Is the 5G network covering all of Switzerland?
The products are on the multi-awarded Sunrise network. The coverage is visualised on this map.
How is 5G integrated in yallo?
5G will be a free upgrade to all yallo plans currently on 4G, with a maximum download rate of 300 Mbit/s. Products which already included 5G (swiss flat 5G, fat plus 5G, BLACK start, BLACK, BLACK plus) are not affected by this change and remain on their 5G profile with a maximum download rate of 2 Gbit/s.
What do customers need to do?
Customers do not need to do anything, as the 5G upgrade works automatically. But it is recommended to check in the settings of the phone to ensure 5G is enabled.
What about customers’ device?
Devices that are 5G capable, can directly use 5G when it is enabled in the settings of the device.
Devices not 5G capable will remain on 4G.
What is the Speed 5G option for?
The option Speed 5G enables higher download rates of up to 2 Gbit/s. This 6x higher download rate allows for faster speed when using mobile data. Learn more about the Speed 5G option here.
What do customers with an existing Speed 5G option need to do?
Customers with an existing Speed 5G option will keep their speed option and stay on premium speed up to 2 Gbit/s.
What happens if customers’ product have 5G included?
The products swiss flat 5G, fat plus 5G and all BLACK products, which had already 5G included, will keep 5G on premium speed up to 2 Gbit/s.
Are there additional costs for the automatic upgrade?
The upgrade to 5G with 300 Mbit/s is free.
You can activate the paid Speed 5G option with 2 Gbit/s here.